Saturday, May 05, 2012

Journey of the Road...

Nicholas had been reluctant to go on our planned road trip.  I wanted to honour his feelings, but I also knew that Summer, AJ and I really needed to go.  He is a very determined young man and his pleas were getting to me.  The day came to leave.  We took Cary to the train so he could get to the airport to get his flight to the USA.  Then we came home, loaded the car with our things, closed up the caravan, and got on the road.

As we drove down the road, I realised that I did not have the same excitement that I usually do when we head off on a trip.  I felt a lack of attachment to our plans, and I almost could have turned around and gone home.  Nicholas would have been happier.  A string of different thoughts went through my head...would it really matter if we went?...we could just get back into the same routine that we were in...maybe that would be okay...is the van going to be alright while we are away?...did I turn the gas off?...maybe we'll have a terrible time and wish we had stayed home...will the car be okay?...will we be safe?...    I drove along the highway with beautiful countryside next to me.  Usually that area fills me with Joy and a feeling of freedom.  In the first hours of our trip, I felt very little.  I needed to change my state, to get back into the moment, to make the most of our trip.

I thought about our packing process.  We were going to be doing a mixture of staying with family in different places, and camping for five nights at a homeschool camp.  To make things easier all the way around, we slept in our sleeping bags everywhere we stayed.  We also needed our tent and sleeping mats, and other camping supplies.  The car we have now is smaller than the previous one we have traveled in, so we needed to be very efficient in our packing.  We had a small bag of food and cooking equipment, a small bathroom bag, pillows and each person had a small backpack for clothes.  Shoes went into another bag (two pairs each - one on our feet and one in the bag), one towel each, and then we each had another small bag to put in toys / games / books.  The back of the wagon was packed but we had even managed to include 5 Nerf guns and a razor scooter.  The boys were on the back seat and in the middle of the back seat was two travel cages for the rats.  Summer rode shotgun and took care of music and audio books as well as snacks along the way.  All I had to do was drive...and think...and aim to stay calm and balanced and set the tone for the kids.  I like traveling lightly and efficiently!  When packing my clothes, I was able to have a really good look at my already light clothes closet, and pick out my absolute favourites.  Since coming home, I've been able to donate some of the clothes I had that I realised I've moved on from.

Driving...thinking...processing...releasing...
Did we have enough stuff with us?  Would we be warm enough?  ...whatever we didn't have we could get along the way...or maybe we really didn't need it.  I was very pleased with what we had with us.

Finally, the last energetic string of attachment let go...and I was free to Be in the moment...to get into the spirit of the trip....In Joy.

We spent two nights with my Mum before heading to Sydney. I have to say, I was a little nervous about driving to and around Sydney as it had been 23 years since I had driven there.  I was open to the possibility that I may get lost, and I just decided to go with it for the adventure..wherever it led us.  I was almost surprised when I got everywhere I wanted to go with no problems!  Childhood memories flooded my senses and my instincts guided me in the right direction.  It was so comfortably familiar!  I had expected it to look very different...expecting that progress had made massive changes.  It really wasn't very different.  I was thrilled to see many familiar landmarks....

beaches that I used to go to...


my old primary school, though I am sure the playground was SO much bigger when I was there...


watching my children appreciating areas that I had loved.  Nicholas got caught on to my excitement and forgot that he didn't want to be on the adventure.  He absolutely loved the rest of the trip...


the pool where I took swimming lessons  (oh that pool scared me - I was sure a shark would get over the edge and into the pool at high tide)...


I loved exploring these rock pools when I was a child and I loved watching Nicholas and AJ enjoy them...


then they found a new park nearby and had fun on this...


...the house where I had lived in Sydney, (I loved that we had a bridge from the street level to our front door!)  It was hard to see the actual house as the bushes and trees had all grown so much, it really seemed to be a tree house now.  It was a pole house and my parents had enclosed the area underneath to make a large rumpus room.  The actual house seemed smaller than I remember, but I think that's all a part of me getting bigger and older. 


The roads seemed shorter and I was surprised at how quickly we got around the place...well, except when I forgot about peak hour and got stuck in afternoon traffic.

A high school I went to...it still looked very uninviting to me and I was glad to drive quickly away from there...



We spent a day exploring the city.  Our day there began with a trip on the Many Ferry (from Manly to the city).  It was a trip I had taken so many times as a child / teen, and I was excited to do it again.  My kids were thrilled and loved sitting outside and watching the boats and the beautiful scenery.  It was so fun to watch them squeal when they saw things they had only ever seen on TV, like the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.  It was a bit chilly out on the deck, and Summer looked very cute in her new beanie made with love by her Nanna...



We walked around the Opera House and took a rest with the big coat hanger in the back...



Another ferry over to Luna Park...the famous amusement park where I played as a child...


After that we had actually walked back into the city by walking over the Harbour Bridge and through The Rocks historical area.

We spent five nights with my Step Mum which went by way too quickly.  We were able to spend a little time with my step Brothers including Coop and his beautiful family.  He and his daughter Viena are on the billboard below which had been donated by someone who was touched by their story.  Such a challenging time.  Viena is such a sweetheart and so strong!  She has had the first brain surgery and is recovering from that.  We think of her every day and send love and prayers to her and her family.  My kids love their Sydney uncles, cousins and Nanna and are keen to visit more often.



Another day in Sydney we had the adventure of trying to find the PowerHouse Museum, which we finally did and it was a lot of fun.  The kids favourite part was the machine that explained how chocolate was made and then gave free samples!  AJ liked this bike too...



After leaving Sydney, we headed north to a homeschoolers camp.  I detoured off of the highway to the Central Coast, an area that I lived as a teenager into my early 20's.  The house below is where I lived during those teen years, and it didn't look very different, though I don't remember the palm trees along the side being so tall. 


The central coast is where I learned to drive and I had no problem getting around there.  The area had grown a bit, but I had a new appreciation for it.  I was amazed at how beautiful it was and I knew that I had totally taken it for granted when I was in my selfish teenage years.  Oh how I couldn't wait to leave it and go in search of adventure...and freedom...and myself.  I found all three, but it was not without cost.  I could feel the circle coming fully around, but I had evolved so it felt more like a spiral.  I felt a little sad for all that I had left there, but also full of gratitude.  Without those lessons, I might be a different person.  I had never wanted to leave Sydney as a teen, but doing so helped me to create a new life on the central coast...and it also helped me to know that change can be exciting, and new places can bring a host of new experiences.  I think that could be a whole blog post in itself so I'll put that train of thought aside for now.

We pushed on up the road to the camp.  It was fabulous!  The weather was a little chilly, but it was nice to rug up.  For the first time ever, I didn't mind being a little cool and was grateful that it wasn't wet as well.  There were around 20 families with children from babies to 16 years old.  There was such a natural flow to the days.  Nothing was actually planned.  We had several circles, a community dinner, and lots of other time for chatting one on one or in smaller groups.  The children arranged themselves into all kinds of activities either with the other kids, or within their own families.

There were some possums living near the camp kitchen that were quite friendly.  AJ could hand feed them and give them a pat while they were eating.  It was one of the highlights for him...


We hired the go karts a couple of times.  Here, Summer is in the front one with the boys in a double cart behind her...


Another Mum hired some paddle boats and the kids took turns playing in them.  AJ is in this one with a new friend that had trouble reaching the peddles...



Mini golf was another bit of fun.  We put our own spin on it by playing a speed version.


The teens enjoyed just hanging out in various places including the jetty at sunset....beautiful!


We were so lucky with the weather on our trip.  We did have some rain on the last day of camp, but we hung out with some friends who were staying in a cabin and watched a movie and chatted.  Oh my golly...I chatted so much to so many new friends during the camp...the days just weren't long enough!   Such an inspiring and wonderful group!  I've never seen Summer so happy and animated as she was with her friends there.

After the camp, we drove over to my sister's place to celebrate her birthday with her.  It was lovely to catch up with her, and we were able to let some of our gear dry out a bit.  Two nights there before the 8 hour drive back up the road to our place.  Which seemed to take longer than usual, or maybe I was just tired after a very full two weeks.  I do like the drive up the New England Hwy, with the country areas and Autumn colours and light traffic.  It felt crowded and strange to come back to our place.  Nicholas was happy, but I just felt detached and like I'd been gone for a month or more.  Summer and AJ are both keen for another road trip south to catch up with their new friends.  Soon!    I have left all of our camping gear in the car and we are looking into campgrounds in the different areas our new friends live in.  I might just catch up on some washing and some sleep first!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey ho - the time you spent here was wonderful.....the kids were wonderful, you were wonderful and I'm so looking forward to your next visit!
Love you guys, glad you like your beanies - they were made with love xxxxx