Monday, July 31, 2017

The Adventure Continues...

About 10 years ago, I was on a walk with a friend and our children.  We happened upon an old graveyard and we took time to look at some of the old headstones.  My friend told me what she would want on her headstone.  Mostly about her children and her accomplishments.  I was happy for her.  Up to that point, I hadn't given a lot of thought to the end of my life, though I was, and still am, very comfortable with the idea that we are all on a one-way ticket here.  I know that my trip is getting closer to the end, but whether that is in 5 days, or 50 years, I don't know what is in store for me.

Perhaps it is that not knowing that keeps me living the way that I do.  To live without too many attachments; to aim to live kindly and with love; and to make life interesting.

I personally can't imagine anything worse than being put into a box deep in the ground.  I do not want any kind of marker taking up space.  I didn't explain all of that to my friend.  But when she asked what my headstone would read, I said that it would just say "The Adventure Continues...".  I believe that there is an amazing life beyond this physical one.

I am not planning on dying anytime soon, but we do have to move house.  It's time.  We have outgrown this little place, but the beautiful location has kept us here.  It does feel like we are on the cusp of a new adventure!  We have no real commitments here, and we could go anywhere.  As much as I love this area, it has gotten very expensive with the upcoming Commonwealth Games coming here next April.

Where to go though?  There are new places to consider, or some familiar places as well.  None of them feel like, well, 'home'.  For me, the only place that really feels like home, is sitting on a beach.  But the rest of the family's needs have to be considered.  I've looked at some houses and they just feel like a little box, and the thought of moving into one of them makes me feel suffocated.

We went from living in a caravan, to living in this townhouse with a beautiful lake in our front yard.  I guess that I need a place that is connected to nature.

We have lived in this area for over nine years.  I am open to staying here if the right place becomes available.  And I am open to moving to a new area as well.   Lots to do and explore!  The Adventure Continues...!!



No comments: