Thursday, June 15, 2006

Even more changes

We just got back from 5 days in Sedona. None of us wanted to leave. After an initial spaz attack by everyone as we reacted to the energy there, we all calmed down and got into a really nice flow. Our family felt closer and more in tune with each other than it has for a while.

We spent a fair bit of time in the car, driving around to different areas, getting a little frustrated with the houses we were looking at. Finally we realized that we only really liked the West Sedona area and, although there was nothing available in that area at the time, we released it to the Universe to help us find the right place.

I have spent a lot of time online trying to find other homeschoolers in the area. As I kept coming up empty, I started exploring other options. Immediately, the information for a new Waldorf charter school came to me and I made some enquiries about that. Things fell into place very quickly and easily for that. This past weekend they had a "meet the teachers / staff" event and we went along. There were a bunch of kids there and Sami was nervous but soon met another 8 year old girl who had been unschooled and they connected. AJ looked very comfortable there. The energy of the kids and parents was very similar to the lifelearners, in that same free-spirit way. Both kids did not want to leave when it was time to go and are excited to go back. So we have them enrolled and we will see how it goes. There's only about 12 kids in each class. I am open to them going and if I don't think it's working out to their advantage, and if I find other homeschoolers, then I'll take them out. AJ would be going half-day and Sami full day. I'm sure I'll miss them, but they want to go and I need to release my attachment to the way I think things should be. While they are at school, I can spend a bit of time on the biodisel business and with Nicholas one-on-one. Or just doing other things I want to like working on some websites, or exploring some of the little shops or maybe even catching up on some of the projects I keep putting off like organizing the family photos.

I thought I'd feel like a bit of a traitor to the unschooling theme by enrolling my kids in the waldorf school. But I don't. It's about life-learning and this is another option / lesson for all of us. So much for what I blogged about school less than a month ago. But this school is nothing like 'regular' school and I feel good about the choice. There have been times when I felt as though I wasn't doing 'enough' for them in recent months. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Nicholas had his first birthday while we were in Sedona. We all went for a beautiful hike in the morning. Oh the air was so crisp and smelled so good. Several times the children actually stopped talking and the peace of the area was soothing to the soul. Sami and AJ were asking lots of questions and telling stories and were really excited about the hike and we all had a great time.

Yesterday Sami asked me "what if we were just toys for God to play with?". I thought that was a pretty deep question and we explored that concept for a while. Children are amazing!

No comments: