My Dad taught me:- to not be afraid of the sharks at the beach
- what to do when I saw a snake in the bush
- how to reconcile a bank statement
- the importance of treating co-workers kindly and equally.
My Dad loved to have a good time, he enjoyed living in the moment and found great joy in simple things. Whenever we would ask him what he wanted for his birthday or Christmas, he would answer that all he wanted was a hug.
The book "Johnathon Livingston Seagull" was a favourite of my Dads. That story of the importance of being free to be yourself helped to shape his life and was a powerful influence on my own life.
My Dad's sudden death also has some lessons (gifts maybe?) for me:
- to live more fully...to take chances, pursue passions, follow dreams, enjoy each moment.
- to love more deeply...to be truly present when connecting with others; to give more affection, compliments and to tell others what they mean to me; to be gentle and more forgiving towards myself and everyone else.
- to laugh more often...to not take life too seriously because it isn't permanent! To play more and to always find the Joy.
Thanks Dad...for these and so much more.